John’s professional real estate expertise has helped shape Vancouver’s development and has carefully guided real estate investors since Expo 86 when Vancouver broke onto the international stage. His experience in all facets of real estate transactions is why John is recognized locally and nationally as one of the best legal professionals for developers, private and family run real estate companies, as well as institutional investors.
John believes strongly in a pro-active approach to client service with an emphasis on efficiency. His “client first” philosophy includes open communication. He is not afraid to have difficult conversations and his sound judgment and critical strategic thinking help deliver excellent results.
Over a 20 year period, John was instrumental in building and growing the real estate practice at Bull, Housser & Tupper (now Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP). He prides himself on leveraging his expertise and experience to help train and mentor those on the team. He notes that it is not good enough to “be a lawyer,” one must commit to the process of “becoming a great lawyer”. Creating a strong team and positive work culture is the foundation to delivering the best results for clients.
John’s recent work and projects
- The PCI Group – in connection with its “Crossroads,” “Exchange” and “Marine Gateway” developments.
- Grosvenor Canada Limited – with the acquisition and assembly of a full city block within the District of West Vancouver for the purposes of a high-end mixed-use development on the waterfront.
- Westminster Management Corporation – in connection with the acquisition of its “Renfrew Business Centre” development site, the subsequent lease-up and subdivision of the site and the disposition of two-thirds of the site for $36 million (CDN).
- Blenk Development Corp. – in connection with its “Wilden” development in the City of Kelowna. This development comprises 2,000+ acres and contemplates the development of approximately 2,700 single/multi-family residential units over a 20+ year build out.
LL.B., University of British Columbia, 1985
B.Comm., University of British Columbia, 1982
Admission to the bar
British Columbia, 1986
Rankings and recognitions
• Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2016 – 2021: recommended in Property Development; 2019 – 2021, recommended in Property Leasing
• Acritas Stars 2019-2021 – Designated as an “Independently rated lawyer”
• Chambers Canada, British Columbia: Real Estate, Chambers and Partners, 2016-2021
• Best Lawyers in Canada: Commercial Leasing Law, Real Estate Law, 2006-2021
• Legal 500 Canada: Recommended lawyer in the area of Real Estate (2015)
Memberships and activities
Canadian Bar Association
Canadian Bar Association – Real Property Section, BC Branch
Law Society of British Columbia
Various real estate industry associations