Herman’s practice involves advising clients on all aspects of commercial real estate including the acquisition, sale and financing of industrial, office, retail, and mixed-use properties. He also has extensive experience acting for both landlords and tenants in the negotiation, drafting and review of leases of all property types, and extensive experience acting for developers of multi-family residential, commercial and office developments throughout the Lower Mainland.
Herman began his practice and legal career with the commercial real estate group in the Vancouver office of an international law firm, and subsequently joined the in-house legal team at Vancouver Airport Authority in 2019. As in-house legal counsel, he was responsible for advising on all land and real estate related matters involving the Authority, including but not limited to land redevelopment projects, commercial and industrial leasing matters, property management matters and regulatory compliance. He returned to private practice in 2021, joining the legal team at Davie Fane to continue his career and practice in the area of commercial real estate.
Herman’s recent work and projects
- Acting for Vancouver Airport Authority as external legal counsel on land development projects on Sea Island, as well as various commercial and industrial leasing matters.
- Acting for large developers of various developments in the Lower Mainland, including phased and mixed-use developments. Experience also includes advising on developers’ compliance with the Real Estate Development Marketing Act.
- Negotiating, drafting and reviewing purchase and sale agreements and acting for purchasers and vendors for various office, industrial and residential rental properties throughout the Lower Mainland.
- Acting as external leasing counsel for the Vancouver office tower portfolio of a global real estate investment and development company.
- Acting as counsel on a legal team advising a port authority on real estate aspects of various terminal projects.
- Acting as external counsel to a large real estate brokerage managing assets throughout British Columbia, providing advice with respect to compliance with legislation governing brokerage and real estate licensees in British Columbia.
J.D. University of British Columbia, 2013
BA.Sc. University of British Columbia, 2010
Admission to the bar
British Columbia, 2014
Memberships and activities
Canadian Bar Association
Law Society of British Columbia
Vancouver Bar Association